Thursday, February 08, 2007

Muscle and memory

'Muscle has memory'

So Louise Doughty says in her blog 'the writer's year'.

Actually I think that the whole body has memory. Emotions become trapped in our body, where they can cause illness. Our bodies, souls and minds should be as one vigorous, entwined expression of life and love.

In the last week I have started doing Darcey Bussell's beautifully calm, meditative 'Darcey Bussell: Pilates For Life' One strange consequence of this is that I felt a breath of dark, sooty breath clearing itself out of my lungs. Who knows, I may have averted serious illness.

Certain eastern medicine systems believe that every part of the body corresponds with a different part of the soul and body. I must admit that my knowledge of this is superficial, but I do use a book called Transform Your Life: A Step-by-step Programme for Change which has a section on the body and the corresponding emotions and what they mean. If I have a problem with a particular part of my body I will always consider the emotional side, although I also consider the possibility that it is nothing to do with that at all. I think it's a mistake to believe that every illness is within our control - sometimes we are ill for inexplicable reasons. And sometimes we suffer through no fault of our own. Still, the connection is worth bearing in mind. The body can offer helpful clues as to our emotional issues. There can be no separating the body from the spiritual and emotional spheres.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home